Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kindness: Excellence in Everyday Life

                                              
Your attitude in public affects so many more people than you think.  It's not just the way you carry your self, the way you talk the way you look, but it's also how you interact with other people.  All those factors can make or break some totally random person's day.  For example, the person at school who asks you for help on the computermay be having a rough day and just need something to distract them from all the hardships of the day.

“An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.”  --Proverbs 12:25



         
          Your demeanor when you are answering could be the difference between them interacting with a friendly person or conversely someone whom they regret talking to or even looking at at all.  Humankind in general is attracted to a good personality, a kind, easygoing demeanor, a friendly attitude, and a willingness to be of service at a moment's notice. 
It could literally be the difference between a kind face that gives them a little relief from the strains in life and says "I am glad you asked me for help, let me show you how Jesus would respond", or a heartless cold shoulder that communicates more "I want to talk to you like I need a gaping hole in the top of my head."




          If you interact with people and open up with them a little, just being yourself, you will find that there are infinitely many people who you will come into contact with that are just neat people.  They have a good outlook on life, and are willing and eager to say things to make your day better as you have made theirs.  If you don't reaspond with a smile, maybe you will never know these people and you will definitely be missing out.
         
          Show a Christ-like demeanor not only when interacting one-on-one with individuals, but also in any other situations that require it.  Someone's day can quickly be turned upside down by traffic.  As I was driving to shcool this morning, I was stopped at a traffic light waiting to turn left when I got a green arrow.  I cleared left, right, and front, then I started into my turn when I was about a third of the way through, a car came zooming into the intersection just slow enough to stop directly in my path.  I said out loud "What in the world..?"  and looked at the individual in the car.  I'm chuckling as I type this, but the poor guy was very apologetic, obviously noting his error and not wanting me to get angry at him.  My first thought was "How would Jesus respond to something like this?"  My second thought was "How many road rage incidents in America have been caused by people gesturing and yelling and screaming etc?"  Answer: a whole lot. 

          I could guarantee you that Jesus would gesture and holler and shake his fist at something as fleeting as this.  Why in the world should we? 

All this to say, demonstrate the love of Christ in the little things of everyday monotony.

"Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God" 
--1 Corinthians 4:1.

No comments:

Post a Comment